Fail to start KDE

Mike Jeays mj001 at rogers.com
Tue Feb 24 08:48:17 PST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:51:14 +0800
Stephen Liu <satimis at icare.com.hk> wrote:

> >>- snip -
> >>

> >>2)
> >>After starting 3 'Xterm windows' I can start KDE 3.1 from any one of the
> >>'Xterm window' with;
> >>
> >># startkde
> >>
> >>It worked with KDE started.
> >>

> >>3) On INIT 3/text mode I can login either as 'root' or as 'user' with
> >>correct password without problem
> >>

> >I haven't used xdm in ttys for a long time, and suspect this is an
> >obsolete method.  If you enter "kdm &" at a root prompt, kdm should
> >start.
> >
> Hi Mike,
>
> Tks for your advice which works.
>
> What is '&' for
>
> >I don't see why you shouldn't put it into /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> >to make it work on startup, and I am pretty sure I used to run it
> >that way.
> >

> /usr/local/etc/rc.d  is a directory.  Whether you recommend to create a
> file with only a single line :- 'Kdm &' (without quote) on it and save
> it to  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
>
> Shall I 'chmod 775' the file created?  Files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
> directory have an extension '.h'.  Shall I name the file as xxx.h?
>
> TIA
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

The "&" makes it run the command as a background job, so that the
prompt re-appears immedidately, and you can go on working in that
shell.  In this case, it just means that if you go back to
that virtual terminal (with CTRL-Alt-F1 or whatever) you can run
more commands outside KDE.

I think the rule for scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d is that they
will all be run on startup, provided they are executable.  The
convention is to name them "xxx.sh", but I don't know if that is
actually required.  So a chmod 500 should be the minimum required
permissions (-r-x------), and 755 will work OK.

--
Personal : Mike.Jeays -at- rogers.com  Phone : 613-724-4510
Work     : Mike.Jeays -at- statcan.ca  Phone : 613-951-9929 FAX 613-951-0395