OT: Longest uptime

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Sun Feb 22 12:54:15 PST 2004

Hi,

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Daniela wrote:

> On Saturday 21 February 2004 20:47, Jamie wrote:
> >    I'm curious as to what the longest uptimes are people have seen on
> > production servers. We've got a FreeBSD machine here with an uptime of 506
> > days. It is a file server and it also runs spamassassin for another
> > machine. Too bad we have to take it down to replace a motherboard tonight
> > with leaky caps. It would have been fun to see if it could have made it to
> > 999 or higher.
> >
> >    I'm curious as to what the highest uptimes people have seen on their
> > servers. With times like that, you can't help but fall in love
> > with FreeBSD!!
>
> I have heard of a machine running FreeBSD 2.2 with 2300+ days uptime and still
> running.
> Mine has only reached 29 days so far, because I patch my system very often.

I just checked back and it's still up ...

--snipp--
ck at hostname: {8} uname -a
FreeBSD hostname.domain 2.2.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb  9 18:53:29 CET 1998     ck at hostname.domain:/usr/src/sys/compile/XXXXXX  i386
ck at hostname: {9} uptime
 9:44PM  up 2204 days,  2:38, 1 user, load averages: 0.48, 0.24, 0.10
ck at hostname: {10} date
Sun Feb 22 21:45:29 CET 2004
ck at hostname: {11}
--snipp--

hostnames and domains changed to protect the innocent.

Of course this does not make much sense and the customer in question
would be well advised with an update. Have been talking to them.

Our own production servers regularly reach 200 days and more. We update things
like ssh and openssl in place and only do full buildworld/installworld
upgrades perhaps once or twice a year. Lot's can be done while staying up.
Jails help a lot of course. Not having external users with shell access also
helps.

Greetings
Christian

Christian Kratzer                       ck at cksoft.de
CK Software GmbH                        http://www.cksoft.de/
Phone: +49 7452 889 135                 Fax: +49 7452 889 136