C++ Memory Profiling/Debugging

David Carter-Hitchin david at carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 02:54:57 PST 2004

Hi Lou,

Thanks - I'll give it a spin.  I read with some reservation on
http://dmalloc.com/:

"Dmalloc is not as good with C++ as C because the dynamic memory routines
in C++ are new() and delete() as opposed to malloc() and free(). Since new
and delete are usually not used as functions but rather as x = new type,
there is no easy way for dmalloc to pass in file and line information
unfortunately. The `libdmallocxx.a' library provides the file
`dmallocc.cc' which effectively redirects new to the more familiar malloc
and delete to the more familiar free."

I'll give it a go anyway.

Wonder if there is a C++ friendly debug tool out there...

Thanks,
David