Can't boot from thumb disk

Kim and Alan kimandalan at covad.net
Sat Feb 21 20:13:22 PST 2004

All,

I have used the 5.2 released version of the iso disk 1 to install the
"minimal" installation onto a 256M "thumb disk".

i know the installation completed and I can mount the disk on another Freebsd
machine and see that all the files seem fine.

If I don't install the boot selector then the bios reports "no operating
system found"

If I do install the boot selector then I get the boot0 prompt "F1 FreeBSD,
Default F1" (So the Bios can boot from USB...)

But then I get a short beep - the LED on the Thumb drive flashes and I get no
further prompts. This happens again when I hit any key.

I see other questions in the archives about this but no answers (at least that
I can understand).

Please help