vinum raid5 initializing died overnight

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 21 15:38:53 PST 2004

On Wednesday, 18 February 2004 at 11:52:09 +0100, Bjorn Eikeland wrote:
> Yesterday I set up a vinum raid5 array on a fairly slow pc
> (p3-500, 128mb pc100, udma66) and started the initializing,
> but only to find vinum l showing the drives as 'State: I 38%'
> and the vinum processes were gone this morning.
> /var/log/messages, /var/log/vinum_history and dmesg doesnt
> mention anyting that could explain this.
>
> any suggestions on how to find out what caused it?

Well, some other info would be good too, like the version of FreeBSD
and the size of the plex.  There used to be a numerical overflow
problem that could cause this.

What happens if you restart?  Unless stated otherwise, it starts where
it left off (that's part of the reason for the progress indicator).

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.