OT: Longest uptime

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 21 14:10:23 PST 2004

On Saturday, 21 February 2004 at 15:24:47 -0500, S wrote:
>>    I'm curious as to what the longest uptimes are people have seen on
>>  production servers.
>
>      http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

I've known people with server uptimes of over 1000 days.  It's rather
pointless to go beyond this time, since it means you're running
seriously out-of-date software.  I suspect that the predominance of
BSD/OS in the top positions is due to the fact that it costs money,
whereas FreeBSD users are more likely to update.  Note that the
current top of the list has been running for 1741 days, which means
that it was booted in May 1999.  A lot has happened in that time.

What I find more interesting is a thing that people can relate to more
directly: how long has you *desktop* been up?  Here's my current best:

  $ uptime
   8:38AM  up 528 days,  9:04, 10 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
  $ ps aux | grep X
  root      987  0.0 15.5 73436 24600  ??  S    12Sep02 2718:33.85 X :0 -bpp 16 (XFree86)

I wouldn't do this on a machine that wasn't almost completely
firewalled.

Greg