DHCP access

Saint Aardvark the Carpeted aardvark at saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com
Fri Feb 20 21:24:03 PST 2004

Jim Pazarena disturbed my sleep to write:
> May sound rookie, but presently I go to each box and determine it's
> IP directly and then I "know" the IP (at least for this session).
> There has gotta be a better way.

One thing that *might* work is displaying the arp cache.  This is the list
of MAC addresses (and their associated IP addresses) that a given host
knows about; run "arp -an" and look for something new/different/that has
the same MAC address.

We do this at work periodically when hooking up new machines to a
DHCP server.  There's no question that it would work better if you ran
on the DHCP server itself, but it might work in your situation as well.

HTH,
Hugh
--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted