method to test for link before dhclient at boot?

Duane Winner duanewinner at att.net
Thu Feb 19 17:53:11 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody knows a technique for this problem:

I have a laptop that I frequently boot when it is not plugged into an
ethernet network.

In these circumstances, I would like to add some logic during boot time
that looks at at the status of my fxp0 interface.

If "status: no carrier" is true, then I do not want dhclient to run. I
want the boot process to bypass DHCP so that it will boot faster, or so
that I don't have to hit "CTRL-C" after the hostname is set, and so that
I can easily run my wireless setup script or ppp manually if I choose to
connect to a network at all.

But I still need to be able to detect an active link state on fxp0 and
lease a DHCP address automatically for when I'm in the office and
plugged in.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
DW