Win200 gateway blocking FBSD html?

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Thu Feb 19 05:32:49 PST 2004

Dear All,

Thanks to everyone (8 persons so far) who replied to my question - I
greatly appreciate the help. Yes, I believe that the problem must be a
Windows proxy server - it's a school, and if I'm not mistaken, a proxy
server can be configured to block pornographic web sites (correct me if
I'm wrong). I'll have to check this tomorrow, as I'm not at the school
right now (it's night here - I'm in Taiwan).

Briefly, to answer some of the questions posed...

> I was wondering, does your mailer hava option to cut the text
> on or becore char 72? This is a bit difficult to read, but i can
> answer you question.

Sorry, I just fixed that. Thanks for telling me.

> And Windows clients are set also to get their network settings
> automatically. This will include those that are managed by dhcp. I
> assume from what you say that the FreeBSD machine is successfully
> gaining a valid ip address, netmask, gateway (router) address and is
> resolving domain names.

Yes, the output of ifconfig looks very good.

> Is there another gateway that you can go out on? Or better yet,
> replace the the server!

Unfortunately, not. Interestingly, I learned that the old gateway (5
years old) was installed by a contractor, and it ran FreeBSD! No one at
the school understood how to configure it, and they just replaced it
with a nice new shiny Windows 2000 box because they thought it would be
easier. Arrgh!

More experiments tomorrow. Thanks again,

 - Robert