5.2.1-RC1 and RC2

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Wed Feb 18 21:22:53 PST 2004

ian j hart wrote:

>On Monday 16 February 2004 3:16 am, Kent Stewart wrote:

>>>Tom,
>>>
>>>	My upgrades (5.2.1 -> 5.2.1-RC1 -> 5.2.1-RC2) went flawless. The
>>>issues I'm having is during portupgrade.
>>>
>>>Kent,
>>>	Interesting - I did as you advised. I am typically running between
>>>113 and 125 degrees (F) My AMD did come with a fan. Perchance I ought
>>>to look into alternative cooling?
>>>

>>Mine ran like that for 53 weeks. The warranty was for 52. When it died,
>>it litterally blew one of the voltage regulator ICs on the motherboard.
>>All I saw was a flash of light at the same time as a loud bang and the
>>top right corner of the IC disappeared. Out was towards me but I didn't
>>feel it hit nor could I find it.
>>

>Much as I love AMD, I would have to agree about the fans. I bought boxed CPUs
>with fans as I expected that this would provide the right level of cooling
>(and reliability). IIRC the warranty was 2 years. When the first one went
>"wobbly" I replaced the lot. It's just not worth taking the chance.
>
>To the OP, re temperatures. I wouldn't rely too much on what other peoples
>systems report.
>
>The actual temperature of the CPU is going to depend on the speed and CPU core
>architecture (and maybe the BIOS) vs the ambient temp/cooling.
>
>This is as opposed to the temperature reported. The accuracy is going vary
>with method (chip) which means, which M/B. I somehow doubt the sensors are
>individually calibrated against a lab standard.
>
>If you can find somone with the same CPU/Motherboard, those numbers would be
>slightly more useful.
>
>As a counter example my 2100+/Gigabyte GA-VTXE+ (BIOS F6a) sits at 54C idle
>and around 60C when busy. It's perfectly stable (on stable, not current).
>[With fvcool idle temp = 30C]
>
>If I forget to clean the filters, the temperature will rise, and the system
>becomes increasingly unstable. A few degrees increase is enough.
>
>My advice is to clean any filters, fans and heatsinks and check the fans spin
>correctly. If the box runs cooler, note the temperature for future reference.
>

>>The current fans look like the Antec fans you can see in a Circuit City
>>or Best Buy. You can mail order them but I think I would buy one sooner
>>than that :). You have been having problems for quite a while now and
>>that may be what is going on.
>>
>>Kent

Oops, forgot to add on last post...in case anyone is looking for CPU
temps..I've monitored a _lot_ of CPU temps on different systems, and the
CPU temps, even with the same CPU and CPU fans, and I'd also question
the CPU and MB temps themselves within ~5* as far as being 'accurate'
against a standard....but FWIW, on a Tyan S2466-N MB, dual Althon MP
2000+ with the ThermalTake Silent Boost fans (PITA to get on this MB BTW
;-( ), claimed CPU Temps via BIOS after a week+ uptime and some large
compiles putting load on the system, CPU Temp rarely goes above 55*C
(reported), after compiling for several hours (KDE in this case).

Scott