make buildworld fails and a reboot?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Feb 18 20:50:33 PST 2004

Eric F Crist wrote:
> Hey all.  I figured out why my system doesn't seem to be working.  For some
> reason, make world failed and the system rebooted.  Now, I can't cvsup any
> new sources.  How do I recover from this?

"make world" doesn't always result in a working system, which is why the
procedure in UPDATING has many more steps (but which should be safe[r]).

You haven't provided an error message as to what happens when you try to
cvsup; what happens when you try?  For that matter, you haven't told us which
version of FreeBSD you are running and what branch of the sources you were
building world with...

> Please tell me I don't have to reinstall from scratch.

Oh, it's absolutely certain that you could recover in other ways, but it also
might be the case that doing a clean reinstall is faster than any of these
alternatives.

--
-Chuck