problems with FreeBSD 4.9 disk 1 ISO image

Steven N. Fettig freebsd at stevenfettig.com
Wed Feb 18 08:12:43 PST 2004

Martin Hudec (www.webcom.sk) wrote:

>Did you try to burn it using slower speed? This is maybe a long shot..
>
>Cheers,
>Martin

Martin actually has a point.  I have had problems with the FreeBSD 5.1.2
ISO's - which made me think that for some reason the ISO's I was
downloading were corrupted (every time I tried to install it on *one* of
my machines, it crapped out with an error when installing the base
system).  I checked the MD5 checksums and found out they were the same.
Two things that solved this: burning at a lower speed and in one case,
and downloading the ISO again in another case.
Another oddity I learned about in a situation some months ago:  I work a
lot on OS X/Macs.  I downloaded one of the ISO's over night, copied it
the next morning to a FAT formatted firewire HD, brought it to work and
burned it on another OS X machine after copying it over from the
firewire HD.  The install process using *that* CD always errored out (I
tried burning it 3 times).  I went back to the original OS X computer
and burned a copy from the ISO I had originally downloaded and voila -
no problems.  I found that copying from one FS to another can also
sometimes corrupt ISO's.  I don't understand why, but this is not the
first time this has happened - and it is not only with FreeBSD ISO's.  I
learned to always double check the MD5's after that and be careful of
crossing FS's multiple times.

Steve Fettig