dump and :

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Feb 18 06:20:37 PST 2004

bla at dayab.ch writes:

> just stumbled over this. If I try to do a dump to a file which has a ':'
> in its name or path, dump tries to connect to a server (which is
> obvious as this is the notation for a remote dump).

Precisely.

> example:
> # dump -f some:file /var
>   DUMP: rcmd: getaddrinfo: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
>   DUMP: login to some as root failed.
>
> escaping (dump -f "some\:file" /var) does not work.

Right; it's not the shell that you need to hide the colon from, so
escaping it in the shell syntax won't make any difference.

>                                                     Is this behaviour
> intended?

Yes; as you pointed out yourself, it's the notation for remote host
access.

>           Is there a workaround? (besides making a symlink w/o the : in
> the name or using another filename/path)

I haven't tried this, but from looking at the man page, I might expect

dump -f /path/to/dump/dir/some\:file

to work...

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/