vinum raid5 subdisks keep changing length?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 16 15:21:35 PST 2004

On Monday, 16 February 2004 at 22:04:44 +1100, Tony Frank wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Running vinum on RELENG_4.
>
> No changes to source, vinum loaded as a KLD as per instructions in handbook &
> man pages.
>
> As per the subject I am having what appears to be strange behaviour with vinum.
>
> After a number of teething problems I eventually setup a vinum root for
> my system which covers / swap /var and /usr.
> This works just fine, though I am yet to experiment with failure scenarios.
>
> However I also configured a raid5 volume and may be having issues with it.
> Currently just a test system and no obvious data loss but I have some
> concerns before I put it into production.

> Specifically I originally configured five subdisks (on different
> drives) with identical lengths and then combined them into a raid5
> plex.  This worked ok and I successfully initialised the plex and
> used newfs on it.  Successfully able to read&write to the volume
> (1G/14G used at the moment)
>
> The original config looked as so:
>
> volume data
> plex name data.p0 org raid5 984s vol data
> sd name data.p0.s0 drive eightgig plex data.p0 len 8802864s driveoffset 6335201s plexoffset 0s
> sd name data.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive0 plex data.p0 len 8802864s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 984s
> sd name data.p0.s2 drive vinumdrive1 plex data.p0 len 8802864s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 1968s
> sd name data.p0.s3 drive vinumdrive2 plex data.p0 len 8802864s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 2952s
> sd name data.p0.s4 drive vinumdrive3 plex data.p0 len 8802864s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 3936s
>
> Now after each system reboot I see messages on system console from vinum.
> (they are not logged in vinum_history or messages)

These messages should appear in /var/log/messages.  Have you changed
your syslogd.conf?

> vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad0s1h
> #(repeated for all 6 drives)
> vinum: removing 2560 blocks of partial stripe at the end of data.p0

Yes, this is a feature, not a bug.

> A "vinum printconfig" now shows difference values for the subdisks.
>
> This value has changed after each reboot.
>
> Current relevant parts of 'printconfig' are:
>
> volume data
> plex name data.p0 org raid5 984s vol data
> sd name data.p0.s0 drive eightgig plex data.p0 len 8799978s driveoffset 6335201s plexoffset 0s
> sd name data.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive0 plex data.p0 len 8799486s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 984s
> sd name data.p0.s2 drive vinumdrive1 plex data.p0 len 8799158s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 1968s
> sd name data.p0.s3 drive vinumdrive2 plex data.p0 len 8798420s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 2952s
> sd name data.p0.s4 drive vinumdrive3 plex data.p0 len 8797600s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 3936s

This is a bug, not a feature.

I'll try to take a look at it today.

Greg