How to view BIOS settings on a running system?

Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko doublef at tele-kom.ru
Mon Feb 16 06:31:13 PST 2004

On 16 Feb 2004 09:10:38 -0500
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> probably wrote:

> Rob <nospam at users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> > A few times I have seen answers to problems like:
> >
> > 	"Verify this-and-this in your BIOS setting"
> >
> > The only way to do this, that I know of, is to shutdown the system
> > and hit the DEL-key at boot up etc. But this is a bit silly, for
> > just checking a particular setting of the BIOS.
>
> Not if the setting could indicate an important issue with booting the
> system, which is usually the case for such questions.
>
> > Isn't there a tool in FreeBSD that shows the BIOS settings in a
> > similar layout, without shutting down the system?

Theoretically, it's possible to write a program to open /dev/io and then
use the out* functions (see include/machine/cpufunc.h) to write to port
0x70, read from port 0x71 to obtain the CMOS values (hard disk type,
RTC,...). That's rude, but if you happen to *really* need it...

--
DoubleF
Trying to establish voice contact ... please yell into keyboard.