FTP difficulties 4.8R

matthew matthew at netway.com
Mon Feb 16 00:24:13 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Graham North wrote:

> Mathew:
>
> You must know your way around network cards!?

A mixed blessing at the very least. I get a lot of old stuff.
never new.

> Unfortunately this one is
> part of a docking station (which I would like to use) for the XPI, and you
> are correct it is ep0.
>
> I do have a second option in the form of a more recent linksys pcmcia card
> which can be stuck into a side slot - but will have then have to look into
> conflicts when docked.
> You said:
> > See if your router can set its interface to 10BaseT/UTP full duplex.
> > do a download test.
> > Change router to half duplex...
> > download test.
>
> I used this card for two years with Win98 through this router without
> problem

different driver i assume makes all the ?difference?

> - if Windows can make the card work nicely then shouldn't there be
> some similiar setting I can do for nic configuration in FBSD?

These cards can only be configured from win98/dos tool from 3com.
I was just recently using it, and it would not let me do much.
I could switch from AUI, ethernet port, etc..
I could not change the duplex setting. Strange old tool. Maybe
I missed on how to do it.

Could be worth checking into but i doubt it since it was used
before with ethernet.

> Clearly I am still low on the learning curve, now I have to look up what
> mediaopt is..?

ifconfig ep0 media 10BaseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex
is an example.
ep0 wont accept the mediaopt. and nothing really to change with media..
being only a 10mb/s card. So one ussually tries to make the router
persuade it into something instead of relying on auto-negotiation.

> >You cannot use the
> > the mediaopt option with ifconfig. no one bothered to code it
> > into the driver. unlike xl0...
>
> Thanks again for your help.  Tomorrow, after work...

while at work mooch a different isa card. or if this is a laptop
which it sounds like, have fun.