cdrom

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Feb 15 16:02:08 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 06:58:34PM -0800, Mardoc Inc. wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 2.2.7-CAM.  My motherboard is a Super P6SNE II, circa
> 1997.

This wasn't ever a supported FreeBSD release, let alone that 2.x
releases have been out of support for years.  However,

> I am trying to read from a CD.  I am currently using a Acer 640-272 CD
> (40x).
>
> The BIOS recognizes the CD - dmesg gives (approximately - not quite
> verbatim)
>
> wcd0 unit 1(atapi) <ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40x Maximum/NOAP>
> removeable drivem iondic,
> wcd0 6890 kB/s, 128 kB cache, audioplay ...
> wcd0 medium type ox11, unlocked
>

> I have tried to mount it as
>
> mount /dev/wcd0a /cdrom
>
> but I get a message
>
> "Incorrect superblock."

This command tells FreeBSD to mount the CD as a UFS filesystem.  It's
possible to make CD images containing UFS filesystems, but it is
unlikely to be what you want; most CDs use the cd9660 filesystem.  Use
mount -t cd9660 instead.

Kris