Running processes...

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 14 08:26:45 PST 2004

This port map is only showing you what ports are open to accept
start requests from the public internet. Looks like you are using
IPFW with stateless rules which just provides an  very basic level
of security. Use stateful rules with 'out' and 'via' keywords to
separate your firewall into out bound control where you allow all
these ports listed below out to the public internet. Then for the
inbound side use stateful rules with 'in' and 'via' keywords
allowing in only the ports that you have servers running on. That
will close all those listed ports to inbound availability. If you
have LAN behind your gateway and using ipfw with divert rule legacy
sub-routine call to userland Natd then stateful rules do not work
because of legacy bug in basic concept design of this process.  Use
IPFILTER, it's stateful rules work in Nated environment and as such
provides an much highter level of security than IPFW can provide in
an Nated environment.  I have IPFILTER sample rule set if you are
interested.