SYN Attacks - how i cant stop it

Anton Alin-Adrian aanton at reversedhell.net
Sat Feb 14 06:54:30 PST 2004

JJB wrote:
> Very interesting reading about net.inet.tcp.syncookies 'knob'.
>

> Thank you for such an curious and informative reply.
>
> I am running 4.9 and net.inet.tcp.syncookies=1 is the default.
>
> I am writing an 'Harding you FBSD system' article for the local
> FBSD club, would you please review the following.
>
> Are my comments correct? Are there any other knobs I should include?
>
> I got the rc.conf securelevel ok as it from the man page.
>

> ####################################################################
> #
> # The sysctl.conf file contains MIB's to change the default setting
> # of internal options of the kernel at boot up time. These Mib's
> # control how network packets are handled after IPFW or IPFILTER
> # software applications firewall returns the packet to the kernel.
> # Some of these MIB's may seem like they are doing the say thing,
> # but because there is no FBSD provided documentation on the order
> # these MIB's get control, they all get enabled here and we let the
> # kernel do it's thing.
> #
> # NOTE: Some of these MIB's can also be set in rc.conf and or the
> # Kernel source. This will not hurt anything.
> #
> ####################################################################
>
> ####################################################################
> # Redirect attacks is the purposeful mass issuing of ICMP type 5
> packets.
> # In a normal network, redirects to the end stations should not be
> required.
> # To defend against this type of attack both the sending and
> accepting of
> # redirect should be disabled". The first statement below enables
> the MIB
> # to drop all inbound icmp redirect packets without returning any
> response.
> # The second statement turns off the logging of redirect packets
> because
> # there in no limit and this could fill up your logs consuming your
> whole
> # hard drive. But there is no information about where the redirect
> packets
> # get logged. The last statement changes the FBSD default about
> allowing
> # redirects to be sent from this system to the internet from yes to
> no.
> # This option is ignored unless the host is routing IP packets, and
> # should normally be enabled (=1) on all systems
> # man icmp(4) and inet(4) and man ip(4) do not contain info about
> these MIB.
> # man sysctl(3) does have info on ip.redirect
>
> net.inet.icmp.drop_redirect=1
> net.inet.icmp.log_redirect=0
> net.inet.ip.redirect=0
>

> ####################################################################
> # Source routing is another way for an attacker to try to reach non
> routable
> [...]

Syn cookies are "relatively" new to FreeBSD. "Long" time ago, FreeBSD
had different protection for syn attacks (dropping of random SYN
packets, progressively increasing as SYN flood increases).

I use an ipfw pipe with dummynet kernel options, to limit icmp bandwidth.

My  100 MB/s server, is forced to behave as a 128 Kbps ISDN link when
dealing with

ICMP packets,with a big enough buffer for queueing packets.

This way, ICMP flood attacks are efficiently taken out, while not
ignoring RFCS, and replying back to all ICMP traffic, in normal
circumstances.

Also I have a similar setup for UDP traffic, which limits it's bandwidth
to 90% of all. This way TCP will always have a 10% room of our total
bandwidth.

Eventually, if all bandwidth is taken out by the flood, and the ISP does
nothing about it, we're going to sink.

If you write an article on FreeBSD security, there is *no way* to skip
over the CERB Reality project. Check it at http://cerber.sourceforge.net/ .

FreeBSD is pretty secure from head to toe.Without CERB, there's not
really much to be done.

All BSD fammily of packet filters are excellent. This is valid for all
of the ipfw,ipfilter and openbsd pf suite.

It's simply the most powerfull and complete level of security on unix.
It is 10 times more powerfull than linux's grsecurity system, because it
has the power of controlling syscalls.

--
Alin-Adrian Anton
Reversed Hell Networks