startup daemon as unpriviliged user

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Sat Feb 14 01:01:04 PST 2004

matthew wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>>[...]
>>So, how can I get a process to run automatically on startup for an
>>unprivileged user?
>
> cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
> make a small sh script like so:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> su username -c "command"

For scripts in '/usr/local/etc/rc.d' one should stick to the required
semantics.  That is, in this particular case you need to make sure that
it only runs on startup and not a second time on shutdown.  Like so:

------------------------ cut here ------------------------
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
         start)
                 su username -c "command"
                 ;;
         stop)
                 ;;
esac

Also, keep in mind that the script's name requires a suffix of '.sh', or
else the system won't execute it automatically.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net