Why would drive run at UDMA33? (Segate 80GB)

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Fri Feb 13 17:55:53 PST 2004

Then on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:41:08 -0500, Jonathan Arnold wrote:

> I don't think this is true either. I've hooked up a lot of drives
> in my time, and I've never seen this. And no "build it yourself"
> guide that I was able to find on the 'net mentioned anything at all
> about which nipple to plug into the slave or master drive.

It does make a difference with 80 conductor high speed "UDMA" cables.
The motherboard end of an 80 conductor cable is special because one of
the positions in the socket connector is disconnected from the cable so
that the host can tell which kind of cable is attached.  If the cable
is plugged in backwards and the middle connector is plugged into a
drive, the host thinks the cable is a low speed 40 conductor cable.
Another possible problem is that the slave drive cannot correctly
pass the results of its power-on-self-test to the master drive.

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net