Changing Boot Location

Hanspeter Roth hampi at rootshell.be
Fri Feb 13 14:04:45 PST 2004

  On Feb 12 at 09:42, Adam Seniuk spoke:

> I have some Desktop archtechture pc's that is running my servers.
>
> I went out and got dell 1650's and the dell servers run there IDE chain on
> the secondary channel.
> So my installs which are based on the primary IDE channel do not boot up in
> the dell.
>
> How do I change the boot from ad0 to ad2?

Hello Adam Seniuk,

first you need to adjust the entries in /etc/fstab. Boot a rescue CD
(FreeBSD CD #2) and mount /dev/ad2s1a (or ad2s{2,3,4}a) on /mnt and
edit /mnt/etc/fstab.

If there are no disks ad0 and ad1 you must tell the BIOS to boot
drive E.

If there are disks ad0 and ad1 you might install the boot manager on
ad0 and ad1 with boot0cfg. This allows you to jump via ad0 and ad1
to ad2 during boot. But depending what the MBRs of ad0 and ad1
already contain (other boot managers?) this may not be what you
want.

> Adam Seniuk
> adams at techweavers.net
> System Administrator |
> Server Administrator ||
> Database Administrator ||
> Website Administrator ||
> Techweavers Inc.
>  <http://www.techweavers.net/> www.techweavers.net
> "Your Website Solution"

You are a website administrator?
Maybe you have write access on a web server?
Why not put these 9 lines on a web page and put the single URL here
instead?

-Hanspeter