Using dhclient to update zoneedit with my dynamic IP address

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 13 12:30:31 PST 2004

Thanks for this sample, but it exceeds my script coding ability.
I added some comments to your sample but I may be lost.

#!/bin/sh

updater_prog = /usr/local/bin/noip2        # program to run
if [ x$reason = xREBOOT ]   || 	\      #  is this an reboot or
   [ x$old_ip_address = x ] || 	\      #  old ip field empty or
   [ x$old_ip_address != x$new_ip_address ]; then   #  old not EQ
new  then
    if [ -x $updater_prog ]; then                # don't know what
this does
	${updater_prog} -i "$new_ip_address"    # exec program
    fi
fi

For my purposes I think this is what I need.
This way zoneedit is only updated when ip changes.
Do I have script correct?

/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks.sh    with this content
#!/bin/sh
# This script only gets called when dhclient runs
# (IE: boot and lease expire)
# Old and new ip  address fields are populated by dhclient,
# which keeps the old used IP address in some config file
# so it's not lost on reboot and can be read in at boot time to
# determine if the ip has changed. So with cable or dsl modem
# that stays powered on while PC is powered off still is
# using old IP address.

updater_prog = /usr/local/bin/wget....rest of command   # my wget
pgm

if [ x$old_ip_address != x$new_ip_address ];   # old not EQ new
	then ${updater_prog}                     # exec my pgm
fi