Mounting to freebsd ufs under WinXP

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Feb 13 12:19:24 PST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 1:45 PM, Matthew Marino wrote:
> Samba works but the configuration can be a cuss. It's the NetBEUI name
> server that takes a deeper understanding of Microsoft Networking than
> the average Joe has. If your really up for a challenge try sharing the
> same ufs volume with Windows and Macintosh clients via Samba and
> NetAtalk. Can be done with enough Coke and HoHos to keep you awake for
> two days.

My biggest problem with supporting Windows and Mac clients
simulaneously was when Sun switched from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 7 and
the new 64-bit kernel interfaces broke the 32-bit network libraries
netatalk wanted to link from.  (Years ago, now.)

Samba would not solve the original poster's problem; he wants to mount
a UFS filesystem under Windows on the same machine, not remotely mount
a UFS system from a running FreeBSD box....

--
-Chuck