need help on CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf please

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Feb 13 09:19:21 PST 2004

Hi, Paul--

There is little point to crossposting between -questions and -hackers;
dropping the latter.  Actually, <ports at freebsd.org> is probably the most
appropriate place...

Paul Seniura wrote:
> My question for this discussion is specifically how to prevent
> overriding a port's own setting for that parm, and to provide a
> default setting -O[1] when the port does not set it at all?

Well-behaved ports respect CFLAGS, meaning that you can define that variable
in /etc/make.conf (or on the command line when you invoke make), and the port
should use that value when building the software.

If you tell us which port is broken, someone will fix it.  For example, one of
the ports I maintain the author explicitly sets -O2, but the port Makefile
patches that via:

post-patch:
         ${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's/-O2//' ${WRKSRC}/Makefile

--
-Chuck