How to deal with package conflicts (apache)?

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Fri Feb 13 08:51:13 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:24:32PM +1030, W. Sierke wrote:
> > How should I deal with package conflicts such as
> > apache13/apache13-mod_ssl...
> >
> > I've installed apache13-mod_ssl but a couple of other ports I want
> > install want apache13 (specifically apache-1.3.29_1) which
> complains of a
> > package conflict (with apache+mod_ssl-1.3.29+2.8.16) so I'll
> have to force
> > the installation. Is there a way of convincing the new packages that
> > apache13-mod_ssl is an adequate substitute for apache13?
>
> Set the APACHE_PORT variable (to www/apachewhatever) in
> /etc/make.conf.  This will only work with ports, not packages, for
> which one can only use the default settings.

Ok, does it matter that the port I want to install doesn't have any
references to APACHE_PORT in its Makefile? Grepping through /usr/ports I
can see that many ports do, but the port I want to install
(mail/squirrelmail) doesn't.

So am I taking this the right way? This type of package conflict means
that I can't have apache13-mod_ssl installed AND install other packages
that require apache13 without forcing them?

Thanks,

Wayne