CVSup question, which tag for 4.9-RELEASE?

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 12 09:14:37 PST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:57:59 -0500, "Bob Collins" <bobc at anything-inc.com>
said:
> I am running a few boxes(n) on 4.9-RELEASE and am wondering about
> updating the ports and source. Using CVSup, should I tag src with
> RELENG_4, or RELENG_4_9? And what if any are the differences, that
> are not already noted in the handbook? Up to this point, I have not
> updated the system since install....
>
> I think I have a rather good grasp of the topic, but there is a little
> confusion on my part. I am thinking if I read correctly, using RELENG_4
> will update to the latest in the 4.x branch and I'll be at 4.9-Current,
> no?

No.  No such thing as "4.9-CURRENT."  RELENG_4 will update to 4-STABLE,
which means it includes whatever updates have been made to -STABLE since
the 4.9-RELEASE snapshot (4.x-RELEASE being a snapshot of 4-STABLE).

> And RELENG_4_9 will be only updates to the 4.9 branch?

4.9 isn't a branch itself, it's a snapshot of the -STABLE branch.
RELENG_4_9 contains only critical updates from the 4.9-RELEASE snapshot,
primarily if not exclusively security updates.

Jud