First time building new kernel 5.1-RELEASE

Edward Carmody ecarmody at optonline.net
Wed Feb 11 19:38:16 PST 2004

Hi,

Trying to build a new kernel, having some
issues...

First, I tried to follow the FreeBSD Handbook,
Section 9.3, Procedure 1. Building a Kernel the
``Traditional'' Way; experienced the following
issue: =================================
[root at Oberon conf]# pwd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
[root at Oberon conf]# config OBERON
config: OBERON:226: devices with zero units are
not likely to be correct [root at Oberon conf]#
=================================

So I looked at line 226 of OBERON, and I saw:
=================================
device          pci
=================================

As far as I can tell, this line is exactly as it
appears in LINT; has tabs, not spaces, though I
thought whitespace was whitespace here.

I man config, and see that "The line numbers
reported in error messages are usually off by
one."  I did not experience this with a previous
mistake, but here are the lines around line 226:
=================================
device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6
drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
device          fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
=================================

Again, I don't see what's wrong.

So, I tried Procedure 2. Building a Kernel the
``New'' Way: ================================= #
cd /usr/src # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL #
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
=================================

This seemed to work, since it didn't report the
weirdness the first method did, but when I
rebooted, dmesg shows:
================================= Copyright (c)
1992-2003 The FreeBSD Project. Copyright (c) 1979,
1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993,
1994
        The Regents of the University of
California. All rights reserved. FreeBSD
5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun  5 02:55:42 GMT 2003

root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GEN
ERIC
=================================

This indicates that I'm not running the new
kernel, "OBERON", doesn't it?  If I check
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys, I see:
=================================
[root at Oberon sys]# pwd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
[root at Oberon sys]# ls GENERIC OBERON  boot
[root at Oberon sys]#
=================================

Obviously I did something wrong; doesn't look like
I configured the machine to boot the new
kernel...but I can't find where the Handbook
addresses dumbasses like me...any help in pointing
me in the right direction is a greatly
appreciated.

Edward Carmody, CCNP
Systems Engineer