Fixing vinum after removing a HDD

Micheas Herman micheas at freep.org
Wed Feb 11 19:30:53 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 17:02, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday,  4 February 2004 at 19:52:03 +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:41:48PM +0100, dontspamhenk at xs4all.nl wrote:
> >> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 on a system with 5 HDD's. ad0 is to be removed
> >> from the system. ad1, ad2 and ad3 contain my vinum drives. FreeBSD resides
> >> on the last disk (da0).
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me if the following procedure is the right way to do it?
> >> 1. physically remove ad0
> >> 2. vinum resetconfig
> >> 3. change drivenumbers in vinum.conf
> >> 4. run vinum with the new configfile
> >
> > As far as my (limited) vinum knowledge goes, you really don't need to do a
> > resetconfig.
>
> Correct.  From the man page:
>
>      resetconfig
>              The resetconfig command completely obliterates the vinum configu-
>              ration on a system.  Use this command only when you want to com-
>              pletely delete the configuration.
>
> I'm completely baffled that people want to use this command so much.
> The correct sequence is to remove the drive, replace it with something
> else with a Vinum partition, and then start the defective objects.

        Just a guess (arm chair psychology of users), but I suspect it
        is because they are thinking that they need to "re-setup" their
        drive.

        Maybe deleteconfig would be a more self documenting flag.

        Micheas

Micheas Herman              email: micheas at freep.org
Free Print Shop             web:   http://www.FreePrintShop.org
phone: (415)648-3222        fax:   (415)648-4466