/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx errors when compiling

den moreau at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 11 13:55:20 PST 2004

This is your mistake :)
I have had the same problem when I compile my kernel with such options.
It is undesirable to  use strong optimization in compiling kernel,
although usually it
does not lead to problem. But this is the case when problem is appeared.

Optimization with CFLAGS = -O3 cause this warnings and compiler enter in
infinit loop.
My decision of this problem was :
# make 1>out 2>&1 &
# tail -f out
when you will see that compiler enter in loop - break off compiling.
Open in editor file "out"  and find string when compiler start compiling
usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx.
Cut all warnings to the end of file and stay only this line.
change option in compiler from  "-O3" to "-O2"
Go to directory pointed in compiling string and place your file there.
# chmod 0777 out
#./out

This will compile needed module with option "-O2".
Then come back into your kernel compile directory and type
# make
this will proceed compilation of your kernel.
Actually it is will not be a single case when compiler enter to infinit
loop.
Such cases will be around of four.
In each case you should repeat this steps with problem module.

Another and simple sloution : change

CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe

CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe