very long connection times

Dan Pelleg daniel+bsd at pelleg.org
Wed Feb 11 07:27:13 PST 2004

Igor Zbirka <studio at icpe.pl> writes:

> I would like to ask you for some advice.
> I'm using free BSD server in my local network as a rooter. Connection to
> internet is done over ISDN.
>

> During last months our connection time became rapidly too big. There were
> several connections over 12 hours and sometimes over the night I can see
> that the modem is on for a long time. Even though it shouldn't.
>
> I would like to know if there is somewhere a log file, which would show me
> from which computer was generated the request to connect to internet? If yes
> where is it.
>

> Sincerely yours
>
> Igor Zbirka

You can run tcpdump on the interface to see all the traffic (if you're
leaving it on and go away, make sure it stops after a while - the output
can be huge).

My guess is that one of the clients has a web browser open on a page that
auto-refreshes, or maybe an IM client that keeps connecting out (to make
sure firewall rules are kept alive).

Check out ppp's packet filtering options - you probably want to play with
the dial and alive filters.

You can also try using ppp's "Filter" logging option to track this down.

--

  Dan Pelleg