DVD playback finally works! =)

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 01:53:37 PST 2004

Hello everyone,

When I recently switched from Slackware 9.1 to FreeBSD 5.2, one of the
few things that didn't work right away was DVD-playback.
Now it works, I just have to chmod /dev/acd0 to 666 and create a symlink
to /dev/dvd.

Contrary to what I've read so far, DVD playback even works with MPlayer.
=)

Unfortunately, due to devfs, I have to change the permissions for acd0
and create the link (/dev/dvd) every time the system starts up - is
there any way to make these changes permanent?

Kind regards,

Benjamin