Options for a New Kernel

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Tue Feb 10 10:36:59 PST 2004

I am still trying to learn how FreeBSD works. Can I create a new kernel file with the following entries or are they just for use in the loader.conf file?

hint.acpi.0.disabled=0      # enable ACPI (i386 only)
hw.ata.ata_dma=1             # enable  IDE DMA
hw.ata.atapi_dma=1         # enable ATAPI/IDE DMA
hw.ata.wc=1                        # enable  IDE disk write cache
hw.eisa_slots=0                # disable probing for EISA devices

If I can place them in the kernel file, what would be the correct syntax to use, and where in the file should I place it? Would I have to do anything else special before compiling the kernel?

Thanks!

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert at rcn.com