I'm really upset with my new computer

Wayne Sierke ws+freebsd-questions at au.dyndns.ws
Mon Feb 9 11:55:20 PST 2004

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > I've heard that Sony and Dell don't support UNIX
> permissions on their
> > proprietary hard drives. Stick with WinXP for now until a
> patch is committed
> > into the source tree.
>
> That doesn't make any sense.   No hard drive vendor "supports UNIX
> permissions" on their hard drives.  File permissions are completely
> a software thing and have little to do with the hardware underneath
>  - as long as the hardware works at all.
>
> Now, WinXP does NOT support UNIX file permissions...
> Ditch it and get a real OS!
>
> (I have FreeBSD installed on lots of Dell machines including the
>  one I am currently typing on and file permissions work just fine)

Ah, but did you ever check to see whether those machines had the
proprietary hard drives fitted!

;)

P.S. I think he's pulling someone's leg. Either that or he's had his
pulled. Mind you, maybe it's a vision of the future with the DMCA and
all...

Write error on multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT: This disk only
allows Microsoft file permissions to be written.