How to deal with package conflicts (apache)?

W. Sierke ws+freebsd-questions at au.dyndns.ws
Sun Feb 8 22:54:35 PST 2004

How should I deal with package conflicts such as
apache13/apache13-mod_ssl...

I've installed apache13-mod_ssl but a couple of other ports I want to
install want apache13 (specifically apache-1.3.29_1) which complains of a
package conflict (with apache+mod_ssl-1.3.29+2.8.16) so I'll have to force
the installation. Is there a way of convincing the new packages that
apache13-mod_ssl is an adequate substitute for apache13?

If I leave both installed (either as packages or ports) does it matter
whether I update one or the other first? I guess the real question is are
there any actual conflicts between these two packages/ports or are they
effectively kept in sync with each other?

What about other cases (eg. can I install apache13+ipv6 in conjunction with
apache13 and apache13-mod_ssl)? Is there a general rule for handling these
situations or is it a package-dependent thing? Is there a resource to help
with understanding which packages can co-exist?

Thanks,

Wayne