/dev/dsp "device busy" - one possible solution

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Sun Feb 8 21:49:23 PST 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 01:37, Mike Harding wrote:

> I was playing around with kde 3.2 and a crashing artsd was locking up
> my sound system - any further attempts to use sound from gnome or xmms
> or anything failed with
>
> /dev/dsp - device busy
>
> messages.  fstat and lsof showed nothing holding the device.  A reboot
> would fix it, but why reboot FreeBSD?
>
> I then remembered from a while ago that if I did the following...
>
> # cat /dev/dsp
>
> and then of course cntl-C to stop the output
>
> the device was no longer busy!

What would be interesting to know, if that output stops sometime. Try:
cat /dev/dsp > /var/tmp/out.wav

That would mean, that arts has something written to the device upon crash and
the device blocks, waiting for somebody to unload it.
--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Wed Jan 28
18:01:18 CET 2004
root at sarevok.lan.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAREVOK_NOAPM_NODEBUG
i386