Can not "make clean" etc.

Deling Ren lg+freebsd at home.homeunix.org
Sat Feb 7 23:44:17 PST 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Don't top-post, please.
Sorry about that.

> Deling Ren <lg at home.homeunix.org> writes:

> > > Just a guess:  'which make' doesn't reply with /usr/bin/make?
> > >
> > Thanks for your reply, "which make" returned "/usr/bin/make". There are
> > some ports that I can "make install", such as gettext, but others have
> > problems, e.g. mutt. I can "make", but not "make install" :(
>
> Your ports makefiles (/usr/ports/Mk) might be corrupted somehow.
> Look at bsd.port.mk in particular.

Actually I already cvsuped to the lastest port. Anyway, I swiped out the
whole /usr/ports directory and extracted from the install CD. The result
was still the same. Since it also affected building the kernel. I
suspected it was "make". I extracted "make" from the CD and overwrote the
existing one and that didn't help either.

Then I made a discovery which is that if I use "/usr/bin/make update"
instead of "make update", it would be fine. I ran "which make" again and
it did show "/usr/bin/make". I later found out it was due to some tcsh
settings. I am using the settings from tcshrc.sf.net. After removing those
rc files, it works well now. I haven't yet figured out where exactly the
problem is, but I am glad I don't have to reinstall everything, which
would be a nightmare.

Thanks a lot for your help.