Upgrade to KDE 3.2 and No sound...

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Feb 7 10:27:11 PST 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 06:46 am, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 07:41:32 -0600, Eric F Crist wrote:
> > I've completed the upgrade to KDE 3.2, but now I just continually
> > get errors about /dev/dsp being busy all the time.  I can play a CD
> > and it sounds OK.  Anyone have any recommendations on what I should
> > do to fix this?  Sound was working perfectly in KDE 3.1, and I
> > haven't changed anything else.
>
> Just a "me too" message. I'm running 4-STABLE from a couple days ago
> and get the message when kde starts up. However, a couple seconds
> later the startup sound comes through the speakers and mplayer and
> others can perfectly use arts and nothing seems wrong at all.

Artsd seems to be starting up slower than it did in 3.1. I get 2 popups
complaining about it not running when I use startx to run kde-3.2.

FWIW, the kaction sounds after the upgrade from 3.1.4 to 3.2 were really
bad and sounded like I had an interupt problem. I went back forced
portupgrade to update arts and then I did a -rf kdelibs portupgrade and
the kaction sounds are back to normal. I still get the popups.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA