Compiling OpenGL code with GCC

Chris Fisichella research at microcalorimetry.com
Fri Feb 6 23:47:52 PST 2004

Yes, that was just a typo. I think I will try to look at some screensave
code. Maybe there are some compiling hints in there.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Chris

Chris Fisichella wrote:

>>#define <GL/glx.h>
>>

>Is that just a typo for your e-mail? It should be

>#include <GL/glx.h>

>--roop

Hi,
I am using FreeBSD 4.4 with  GCC 2.95. I am trying to get a simple
OpenGL program to compile. I think I am having linking issues.

The problem is this error I get from the compiler:
undefined reference to 'glXQueryExtension'

Now, I call that function in my code. I found the prototype for it in
/usr/X11R6/include/GL/glx.h.

On the compiler line, I specify
-I/usr/X11R6/include
and (I think) the compiler can then resolve the

#include <GL/glx.h>
statement I have in my source code and, hence find the include file.

Additionally, the book I am reading has me specify the following
libraries: -lGL -lXext -lX11

I added the library directory flag:
-L/usr/X11R6/lib

where I find libGL.a, libXext.a and libX11.a are located.

Well, I kept getting that error. So, I tried renaming the compiler
libraries on the command line: -llibGL -llibXext -lX11

and tried other permutations to try to get this code to link. But, it
won't and I am stuck. If any one out there has some insight into this, I
would appreciate some help.

Thanks very much,

Chris