FreeBSD Traffic Shaping?

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Fri Feb 6 07:59:59 PST 2004

On 6 Feb 2004, Dan Pelleg wrote:

> Vincent Poy <vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> writes:
>

> > 	After reading ipfw(8), I hope I have it correct that it's
> > like this:
> >
> > ipfw add queue 1 ip from any to any out xmit xl0
>
> Shouldn't "ipfw add queue 1" be enough?

	Don't know, that was what I was told to do by Luigi many years ago
except it was for PPPoE so I didn't have a static IP at all as that one
was interface specific.

> > ipfw pipe 1 config bw 384Kbit/s
> > ipfw queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 30 mask all
> >
> > 	Now I'm just confused how to do the IP portion so that:
> >
> > 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0
> > 209.204.138.224-231
> > are not included
> >
> > but everything else in 209.204.x.x is as well as any undefined IP.
>
> the first match wins. So:
>
> pass from 192.168.0.0/16 to any
> pass from 209.204.138.224/29 to any
> queue 1 from any to any
>
> alternatively, use a "skipto" rule. Whatever fits in your ruleset better.

	A question on the /29 one, as my ISP seems to give the 8 IP's from
a /24 netmask, wouldn't the /29 actually filter out .224 and .231 from
working or does it basically excluse that range.

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin