VMWare licensing file problem.

Sean Welch welchsm at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 07:08:39 PST 2004

Version 2 of VmWare is no longer sold so the evaluation license you got is
most likely for version 4 (which does not run on FreeBSD yet).  The confusion
results from the fact that with version 2 you got a license file but starting with
version 3 (which DOES run under FreeBSD) you are only supplied with a "key"
which is to be entered into a form in the VmWare gui once it has been started
(there is a register menu or some such).

I'm affraid you are out of luck with vmware2 unless you can manage to locate
a license file somewhere.

It is still possible to find boxed copies of version 3 online (check ebay and such)
and that version will run on either 4-STABLE or 5.1 and higher.  I'm currently
running it under a patched 4.9-RELEASE and also under 5.2-RELEASE.

Sean