documentation on FreeBSD kernel

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Fri Feb 6 01:13:51 PST 2004

LACOSTE Thierry wrote:
> Are there books equivalent to e.g. "Understanding the Linux kernel"
> concerning FreeBSD ?
> More precisely, books (or other sources) discussing thoroughly the
> implementation
> of the FreeBSD kernel on ia32 computers.

I usually refer to

   The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System
   (Addison Weslay)

As with all these books about operating systems under development, they
can never be completely up to date.  The OS is a moving target.  So the
book I recommend above is a good start, but it certainly doesn't cover
the latest design decisions of the various BSD development teams.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net