Newbie trying to build a new world

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at go.ro
Thu Feb 5 10:01:17 PST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:13:50 +0100
Nicolas <nicolas.gafgo at bredband.net> wrote:

> Hello again. Sorry to bother you with this but I really dont know what went
> wrong this time. Ive done it on my old computer with 4,9 and it went smothe.
> This is the sequence that I followed:
> cd /usr/obj
> rm -Rf *
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
>
> Then:
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=MOAK

If you didn't reboot or drop to single user, the next step is bad.

> Then:
> fsck -p
> mount -u /
> mount -a -t ufs
> swapon -a

> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
>
> make installkernel KERNCONF=MOAK
>
> It is hard following the order in the handbook

Nop. First you intallkernel, then you reboot, then from single user installworld.

Note that the ultimate reference for all this is /usr/src/UPDATING; if
something is told there, follow it. READ IT. Read it again. Follow it.

> I think it is a bit confusing
> to read.
> In my last mail I wrote it in the wrong order.

Could be. But perhaps you should take a little pause, drink a coffee,
etc. and retry a little later; often one makes the same mistakes again
and again when tired; experience speaking ;)

Second suggestion - print this and follow it (if it doesn't conflict
with UPDATING, I don't know from what to what you are upgrading):

cd /usr/obj
chflags -R noschg *
rm -Rf *

cd /usr/src && make clean all

script /tmp/build_kernel_1
make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC && touch /tmp/done_Build_Kernel_G
make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC && touch /tmp/done_Install_Kernel_G
CTRL+D

if it breaks until here you have a problem with your sources; cvsup.

reboot

if everithing seems to be OK:

script /tmp/mergemaster_p
mergemaster -p
CTRL+D

script /tmp/build_w
cd /usr/src
make buildworld && touch /tmp/done_Build_World
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MOAK && touch /tmp/done_Build_Kernel
make installkernel KERNCONF=MOAK && touch /tmp/done_Install_Kernel
CTRL+D

reboot in single user
fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a

if needed (you don't have the BIOS clock on UTC) also :
adjkerntz -i

script /tmp/install_w
make installworld
CTRL+D

reboot

script /tmp/build_w
maergemaster
CTRL+D

Of course, heaven only knows what exactly did you do until now; but with
script we can try to figure out what goes wrong.

The touch(1) are only to be easy to see where it breaks.

> If I try again do I have to do it all from the beginning (cvsup src and
> ports)?

No. The hole make ... doesn't change the sources.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user