PPC ver of freeBSD ? isent that the main body of os X

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Wed Feb 4 12:05:42 PST 2004

> MacOS X is using a monolithic kernel which derives from between the
> CMU Mach project v2.0 and v2.5 circa 1990, which was Avie Tenavian's
> grad project at CMU.  Apple is not using the Mach 3.0 microkernel, nor
> is it using "half of the FreeBSD 5 kernel".

Incorrect!   The original OS X code base does come from next but apple
has upgraded the code in 10.3 to use FreeBSD 5.0 code.
apple.com/macosx even mentioned that when panther was released.
Another document on apple's site i'm looking for again specified that
the latest 10.3 kernel was in fact using only the messaging and memory
architecture of Mach and the rest was in fact FreeBSD 5.0 code!

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/history.html

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

'Re-implementing what I designed in 1979 is not interesting to me
personally. For kids who are 20 years younger than me, Linux is a great
way to cut your teeth. It's a cultural phenomenon and a business
phenomenon. Mac OS X is a rock-solid system that's beautifully
designed. I much prefer it to Linux.'
-- Bill Joy, Wired Article 2003