userdbpw/5.2 producing inconsistent result

W. Sierke ws+freebsd-questions at au.dyndns.ws
Wed Feb 4 06:06:09 PST 2004

# uname -mrsv
FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Wed Feb  4 05:44:41 CST 2004
root@:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LILLITH-IV  i386

# pkg_which /usr/local/sbin/userdbpw
courier-imap-2.2.1,1

Every time I run userdbpw it's generating a different result (for the same
supplied password). eg:

# foreach p ( password password password )
foreach? echo $p | userdbpw
foreach? end
fA8HQ5zWzV.fM
Vkedbdeq0kk7s
Lay1EhcWhup/s
#

Fear not if there's anything wrong with the above because I've tried it
manually with a variety of passwords and the result is the same (ie. the
results are not! the same).

# userdbpw
Password:
Reenter password:
wRkPrfxswnUGo
# userdbpw
Password:
Reenter password:
yTBnb7ab/N072

I was using this without issue on 4.8. Can anyone suggest anything I should
try/check or is it bug-hunting time?

Thanks,

Wayne