usb umass flash drive mount/umount questions

Brian Black BlackBsd at Mountain.Net
Wed Feb 4 05:04:55 PST 2004

Fred,
    have u tried to give the sync option when mounting.  Tho i have not
used usb.conf  to auto mount(which is cool), my /etc/fstab line reads
/dev/da0s1   /mnt/thumb   ufs2   rw,noauto,sync   0   0

IMO, even if u use the sync option u are not guaranteed to have all the
data written out to the thumb drive if u wish to just pull the device
from the box.  the box cannot determine when u are going to pull the
device.  by doing the umount the computer knows to flush all the I/O
because the thumb drive might be pulled.

hope that helps any.

-    Brian Black (Software Engineer)	-
-	 BlackBsd at Mountain.Net		-
-        ProActiveTechllc.com		-