5.2.1 ?

Mike Jackson mjj at isorauta.ntc.nokia.com
Mon Feb 2 07:28:56 PST 2004

ext Andrew Boothman (andrew at mux.org.uk) wrote:
> > 5.2.1-RC1 still gives piles of arp warnings when you use an ADSL router
> > in half-bridge mode. I wish I knew of a way to disable this. For now, I
> > did some tuning to syslog and fixed it so that junk only goes to ttyv3
> > instead of filling up /var.
>
> What arp warnings are you getting?
>
> There are ARP sysctls that you might be able to tweak in order to stop
> getting these.

Hi,
 The adsl router is set to 10.0.0.2, offering via DHCP it's WAN IP
address to the FreeBSD box. PPP half-bridge mode is something strange,
but very useful anyway.

 So, the FreeBSD box gets a live internet IP from the router and since
the router is on a different network, the logfiles fill with arp errors
that 10.0.0.2 can't be arp'ed because it's not on the same network,
blah, blah, blah.

 Read this to understand the setup of my networking:

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=402&sid=7f658e15ff642da866cd437cc7f0b841

 You see that I have to force the subnet mask to something other than
the one that the adsl router uses, in order to get routing working at
all. Strangely enough, this problem doesn't exist at all on linux. It's
a FreeBSD peculiarity. Anyway, I wouldn't consider using linux for my
firewall/gateway.

BR,
--
Mike Jackson