Network booting with PXE

User Mike mike at sonhosting.net
Sun Feb 1 13:06:04 PST 2004

> Did you recompile your kernel with options:
>
> options     BOOTP          # Use BOOTP to obtain IP address/hostname
> options     BOOTP_NFSROOT  # NFS mount root filesystem using BOOTP info
> options     BOOTP_COMPAT   # Workaround for broken bootp daemons.

Yes, I did. How else would the other machines work fine.

> By the way, how much RAM do you have in those machines?  I have found
> that I get by fine with no swap at all using as little as 32MB - though
> I am using Linux diskless terminals, but this shouldn't matter.

At least 64 MB, but up to 256 MB depending on usage/purpose of machine.
The main reason I wanted to add swap was because when the machines aren't
in heavy use they run MPI programs. As most people know at heavy usage
they almost always need swap!

Don't focus on the swap as it isn't the issue. My problem is that FBSD
won't mount root over NFS if a local hard drive is present. All I want to
know is how to bypass the check!