FBSD router/firewall with dhclient & dhcpd

Luke Johannsen luke at themango.org
Sun Feb 1 12:48:04 PST 2004

On Feb 1, 2004, at 2:24 PM, Edward Carmody wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to replace my Linksys
> router/firewall/nat box with a FreeBSD box...I'm
> in the configuring/testing phase before I put it
> into production...
>
> My *potential* problem is that my ISP
> (Cablevision) re-addresses their DNS servers
> often.  My question is: is there a way to
> dynamically update the "option
> domain-name-servers" values in dhcpd.conf from the
> "nameserver" values my ISP-facing, dhclient-using
> interface is writing into "resolv.conf"?
>
> Or, more simply, how can my DHCP server hand out
> *known-fresh-and-good* ISP dns server addresses
> gathered from the wan-facing dhcp client??  The
> linksys box I have now does this auto-magically...
> ;-)

I don't know if this is a solution that you want but it works for me.
Setup DNSMasq on your firewall machine.
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html or from the ports
/usr/ports/dns/dnsmasq. Then just point to your internal IP on your
firewall as your nameserver. It's quick and painless to setup and get
running and seems to work well for small networks.