a sudo question

John lists at reiteration.net
Sun Feb 1 11:58:17 PST 2004

Hello list

I'm trying to give a html author rwx access to a system directory and all
directories under it. This is /usr/local/www. He also needs access to
/webspace in the same manner (there are various user accounts under
here) - but under webspace he only needs access to
/webspace/loginname/public_html and all dirs under it.

The problem is I don't want to give him the same kind of access to the
rest of the server. Also when he creates a file in a users dir it wants
to be with the ownerships of that user. It would be ok for him to su to
those accounts but not to su to root or to any other login. I can let
him su to www.

Should I be using sudo for this or is there another mechanism?

thanks
--
John - jfm at reiteration.net - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
For PGP public key finger jfm at reiteration.net or see webpage